Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > General

Old 03-28-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
okcoalroler99
cummin get some

Default i have a few tips for 2nd geb truck owners

Ok guys ive ownd several 2nd gen trucks (all diesel of coarse) but over the years ive learnd a few things bout them......you can swap a auto for a manual very easy its bolt in straight forward swap leme kno if u wana kno more.....on 00 and newer trucks u can check the codes by turning the key on off on off on and look in the odo window u should see pecu codes then done......if u have a 4x4 they all wonder its a dodge thing u can go buy the drag link and tie rod for a 2010 truck at the dealer cost bout $350 its the T style instead of the Y style way better controle......for 2500 4x4 owners a front brake upgrade is u can go get 3rd gen rotors pads and caliper brackets for better brakes i know mine suck....u can check to see if all your guages are working properly by holding your odo button wile turning on the ket keep holding till u see tst in the window it will go through a test and give u a code i will post what the codes mean later......also for auto guys u can put a torque converter lock up switch on that will lock ur converter in 3rd gear and OD leme kno if u want il explane how to do it.......for anyone with a dana 80 rear end that is a trac lok u can restack the clutches in the rear end to make it more aggresave if yall want il explane that.....anyone with a cummins a fuel pressure guage is VERY important your injection pump (vp44) has to have between 10 and 20 psi of fuel at all times to keep it in good health the lift pump can die with no symtoms and kill your vp ($1200) its cheap insurance il explane how to install one if yall want.....also if your dash is not crackd yet keep pledge on it spray it on and let it soak dont wipe it off it will help alot......that is a few tips for 2nd gen owners i have a few more tricks up my sleeve hope this is usefull to someone if u have any questions just leme know
Old 03-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Wow...that's a lot of info there. Colton? Manual swap?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
okcoalroler99
cummin get some

The manual swap isnt hard ive done one before with a 00 2500 4x4 cummins.....not 100% sure u can do it easy wit a 1/2 ton but i dont see y not.....what u will need is a 5 speed tranny pedals hydrolics sometimes the drive shafts have to be swapd too also u might need to reflash the ecm and pcm the cross member will work fine u will need a flywheel clutch anyways its straight forward the hole and mount are all ready in the fire wall for the master cylender it makes it real easy if u have a doaner truck there wen swaping....i did one by my self in a weekend
Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
okcoalroler99
cummin get some

The converter lock up switch is easy too.......look for your pcm on the right side firewall and i think its the plug on the right il have to go look....there will be a orange wire with a black tracer on it tap that wire run it to your switch and then run the other wire from your switch to a ground then look at the fuse box under your hood and pull the transmission relay and jump it across from front to back.....il go take pix if someone wants them.....clear as mud?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Not sure if I'd like to do a manual swap with a small block. Just personal preference but I like auto better lol

Alot of great info, thanks man!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
okcoalroler99
cummin get some

Im fixin to do a manual swap as soon as i find one i have my auto