PDA

View Full Version : Brake problem

BMRbrnSNRbrd
10-12-2011, 10:24 PM
My truck is far too new for this...one of my brakes is squeaking like an SOB. It's on the passenger side and it's bad...makes my truck sound ghetto. I looked at all four corners and the pads and rotors are fine..no weird grooves or excessive wear. What can I do to fix this? I don't know if maybe the pads got something on them or what but there's no way they should be squeaking after only 18k miles.

myoung84
10-12-2011, 10:28 PM
That sucks! Maybe try some brake lube or something?

BMRbrnSNRbrd
10-12-2011, 10:34 PM
I've always thought you shouldn't put anything between the pads and rotors though...

myoung84
10-12-2011, 10:50 PM
No, this stuff goes between the pad and caliper and on the slides. Not sure how well or if it will work though.

BMRbrnSNRbrd
10-12-2011, 11:06 PM
I really thought of just getting a can of brake cleaner, pulling the wheels, and blasting everything.

916Timmy
10-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Just cheap organic pads from the factory!!!! They get build up on them and squeak...best bet if you WANT TO is to take the rotors off and turn them...and buy new semi metallic pads for 40 bucks!

myoung84
10-13-2011, 07:55 AM
I am very happy with my Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads. Got them at Rock Auto...

Okiespaniels
10-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Either your pads have absorbed a small rock, or are sliding against the caliper. I would pull off the offending side and clean everything with brake clean, then get a bottle of squeak stop and coat the caliper facings that rub go against the pads and a little on the pads too. When that has set up (per instructions) stick them together and reinstall.

I feel the red crc stuff is the best.

Oh...make sure the pads are wearing evenly before doing this. If not, you'll have to diagnose that issue first.

I have also seen an areosol product called sqeak stop you spray right on the brakes. I think it helps remove minor glazing which can cause squeaks or squeals.

BMRbrnSNRbrd
10-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Hit everything with brake cleaner, problem resolved.

OklaHemi
10-15-2011, 11:41 AM
sweet mine just started to squeal but im not doing a damn thing until i get back

BMRbrnSNRbrd
01-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Well the brake problem never was resolved...it's been a continuous battle. I tried the squeal stop stuff on the back of the pads...nothing. I tried burnishing them with some wicked hard stops...fixed for about two days. F-it...ordered new pads a while back that have just been sitting and decided to install them today. Haven't heard a squeak yet, but who knows at this point.

(S.M.R) 101
01-11-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm having problems with mine right now and they are only 4 months old

BMRbrnSNRbrd
01-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Damn dude..there are a few things I can't stand automotively speaking...squeals, squeaks, rattles, etc.

ramthis9501
01-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Get some Brembos!

BMRbrnSNRbrd
01-11-2012, 09:25 PM
What's your bank account number there big spender?

OklaHemi
01-11-2012, 09:49 PM
ii am have a similar problem on the tahoe. i changed the pads, turned all the rotors cleaned and greased the backside of every pad still squeals. the pads have less than 300 miles on them i dont know what it is. i got the ceramic pads from orielys the gold ones

Okiespaniels
01-11-2012, 09:51 PM
ii am have a similar problem on the tahoe. i changed the pads, turned all the rotors cleaned and greased the backside of every pad still squeals. the pads have less than 300 miles on them i dont know what it is. i got the ceramic pads from orielys the gold ones

You "greased" them? With grease?

OklaHemi
01-11-2012, 09:57 PM
no i put the lube or what ever advance auto sells on them. i greased the caliper guide pins though

Okiespaniels
01-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Lube??

Hmmm...that must be why they squeal. The lube burnt off. Let me look up what I use. BRB

OklaHemi
01-11-2012, 10:00 PM
i dont have the package any more but its the brake stuff they have in the packet at the counter. im going there tomorrow i can find out the name of it

Okiespaniels
01-11-2012, 10:02 PM
go there tommorrow and get this...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/1/567845--disc-brake-quiet-by-crc-part-05016.html

Apply a liberal amount to your (everywhere both parts rub or touch) caliper/pad mating surfaces, let it tack up for about 10 minutes or so then put everything back together. Your squeals will be gone.

Now this stuff can be messy and wear old clothes. But it works!

OklaHemi
01-11-2012, 10:04 PM
and this is the first time i have ever used any kind of grease lube or anything on a brake change and this is the only one that has squealed...

backing it up i changed all of the pads like i always have done it, rotors werent bad at all so i left them. it started to squeal and chrissy couldnt stand it. i pulled everything apart again, had the rotors turned, cleaned and "greased' everything and installed new pads still squealing. from the car and the wife

OklaHemi
01-11-2012, 10:05 PM
thanks Al i will pick some up tomorrow. its oil change day... yeah im excited( no sarcasim)

(S.M.R) 101
01-11-2012, 10:12 PM
I've been thinking of slapping the brembo brakes on the truck I'd they are worth the cash flow I'd do it.

While my truck was just in the shop getting all that shizz fixed they told me my breaks needed to be replaced.. I told her I just spent 400 bucks on the best pads and rotors you could buy (before going to a high end brake system) and she told me that they might have been put on wrong...... Wtf.

OklaHemi
01-11-2012, 10:18 PM
wtf.. how about upgrading to the srt-10 brakes. you will need the spindles from the srt-10 i believe

(S.M.R) 101
01-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Yeah... But everythime I start to think about buying something for the truck I go....... No i'm going to buy a powerwagon.... but then I start thinking about it.... My truck is paid for and I don't want payments... so not sure what I wanna do.. and on top of everything I might be coming down to San Antonio, TX to start a job for Conocophillips

myoung84
01-11-2012, 11:55 PM
My charger has had an awful squeel just in the first few feet after its been sitting for a few hours. Its fine after that though. Wife does not like this since it squeels everyday in the parking garage at work. Guess I need to pull everything apart again and try the grease method...