Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > Exterior

Old 10-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
myoung84
Super Moderator

Lightbulb 4th gen tow mirror parking light mod

Here’s a simple write-up on turning the tow mirror turn signal lights into parking lights and signal lights using diodes and resistors. This allows the lights to function as normal signal lights with the parking lights on at a dimmer level. The resistor can be changed to adjust the brightness of the parking lights. I am doing this from memory, so please test each wire before cutting or tapping in to it. Also, test the direction of the diodes before soldering. I’m fairly certain I stated the correct direction, but you’ll need to make sure. Installing them backwards won’t damage anything, they lights just won’t light up. You’ll need two diodes for each door (1N4003 or similar from Radio Shack will work) and one resistor (standard ½ watt will work). 100 ohm is what I am using for now.

Start by removing your door panels. The small triangle panel behind the mirror pops off. Tthen remove the (6) plastic torx screws from inserts around the outsides of the door panel. After those are removed, the inserts can be popped out. There’s also a screw behind the door handle that’s under a small cover. This can be popped open with a small screwdriver. Once the screw is removed, the trim piece around the door handle will need to be removed. Then you can lift the door panel up and remove it. Unplug the connectors at the window/lock switches and the panel is free. Also, remove the kick panel covers. Start by popping up the back portion of the sill plate and move forward, then pull straight back and the panel comes free.

You’ll need to run a wire through the door jamb on both doors. Something small like 18-22 gauge will work fine. You can pop the rectangle connector from the door jamb, it’s held in place by plastic clips that you will need to push down. Then unplug the wire harnesses, the driver side will have two and the passenger side will have one. Remove the torx screws holding the rubber loom to the door and remove the tape around the metal and plastic. This will allow you to pop the plastic cover off and have room to route your wires. The passenger side will have plenty of free space to run the wire. The driver side is a little more difficult since it has two connectors. There will be an empty hole in one of the plastic connectors that you can fish the wire through. A coat hanger helps with passing the wires through the loom. Once the wire is through the loom, then tape everything back up and put the loom back on the truck. Leave enough wire on the door side to go to the door module. I ran the wire on the driver side door across the truck to the passenger kick panel and left about a foot for the passenger door in the same place.

There’s a small electrical module on each door with a few connectors plugged in. Find the one that goes to the mirror and cut the black wire with grey stripe, leaving plenty of room for soldering or crimping on connectors. You will have to remove some of the tape around the harness to expose more wire. Starting with the wire on the mirror side, solder the two sides of the diodes with the stripe to this wire. Then solder the connector side of the wire to the opposite side of one of the diodes. Then take the wire you ran through the door and solder to the other diode. All of these connections can also be crimped with butt connectors, however soldering will be better. Use shrink wrap to seal all connections.

Since my truck has factory cab lights, I was able to tap into this wire behind the passenger side A-pillar cover that feeds them. I’m not sure if all trucks have this harness or not. If not, you’ll need to find a wire that’s on with the parking lights. To remove the A-pillar cover, pop open the covers and remove the two 10mm bolts. The cover will then pop off. The wire for the cab lights is white with green stripe. Splice into this wire and run it down to the passenger kick panel. Connect the two wires from the doors to one side of the resistor and connect the wire from the parking lights to the other side. I used male and female spade connectors to wire up my resistor. This allows me to easily swap out resistors if needed. I first tried a 50 ohm resistor and there wasn’t a lot of difference in output from the turn signals to the parking lights, so I stepped up to a 100 ohm. This is plenty bright at night and there’s a noticeable difference in output when the turn signal is on. My lights are also tinted, so your results may differ. Reinstall the kick panel covers and door panels and you are done.

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
myoung84
Super Moderator

Here's a pic and some crappy cell phone videos.

Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Old 10-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
(S.M.R) 101
Outdoorsman Member

Dude... I want to do this

"Oilfield Outlaw"
(S.M.R) 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
myoung84
Super Moderator

Gots to gets you some tow mirrors first.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

I like it Morgan. I think it should have come that way from the factory.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
myoung84
Super Moderator

I agree. The Ferds do...

Old 10-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
918Dodge
MERICA

Hmmm. I wonder how hard it would be to figure out how to do this to a truck with regular mirrors with the puddle lights.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
myoung84
Super Moderator

Should be the same concept, I'll bet it's even the same black/grey wire... If it's not, just use a multimeter to find the wire that's hot when the blinkers are flashing...