View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
myoung84
Super Moderator

I am starting to talk myself out of a Cummins... I really don't need a diesel and the more I think about it the more I don't want to deal with all the DPF/Emissions bullshit. I would have to buy a used truck because I don't want to spend $50k+ on a brand new CTD. Something in the $35-40k range is where I want to be. With a Cummins, I would definitely be modding it and as soon as I do a all the emissions deletes, my warranty is long gone.

I have done some rough math and figure that my company car will save me about 12-15k miles per year on the truck, mostly back and forth to work and running around town. Since I normally average about 25k per year I am at roughly 12k per year on the truck.

The truck will be used for mostly long trips, hauling and towing the boat. My main consideration for the Cummins was of course towing. I had originally thought I would save a lot of money due to fuel costs, so I did the math and broke it down. Assuming I am running empty about 6000 miles a year and towing about 6000 miles a year and gas is at $3.25 and diesel is at $4.00. I was very shocked at the actual numbers.

Towing 6000 miles per year: I get about 10 MPG while towing in the gasser and I would estimate 15 MPG in a diesel. So throughout the year I would spend $1950 in gas and $1600 in diesel. That's a savings of $350 per year.

Running empty 6000 miles per year: I'll give myself an estimate of 16 MPG in the gasser and 17 MPG in the diesel. Over a 6000 mile span I would spend $1218 in gas and $1411 in diesel. The gas is cheaper to drive by about $193 per year.

So if you break it down, a savings of $350 a year while towing and an added expense of $193 running empty, I would save about $157 per year in fuel... To me, the added troubles of owning a CTD (extra maintenance cost, DPF shit, warranty problems due to mods) is just not worth it for me. If I were dragging around a 34' 5th wheel it would be different, but I am towing a whopping 5k lbs... There are no campers or heavy trailer in my future. If that time comes, I'll reconsider the CTD option.

Now on to my new plans. I still want a new 4x4 truck and I am now considering a new 2012 2500 Hemi 4x4 with the new 6 speed and 4.10 gears. My MPG claims above should be about the same, especially with the new 6 speed. I would still plan to give it a mild lift and good tires, nothing too crazy though. I built a brand new Outdoorsman and came to about $43k sticker price. If I found the right dealer to custom order me a truck, I could probably get this one for around $36-38k. From what I have found, a used CTD with around 40-50k miles is going to run me about $40k.

What this gets me is a new truck with a much better transmission and 4WD. I could do a 1/2 ton option but the cost difference is minimal and I like the fact that the 3/4 ton has a full size short bed. I would also get the bench seat without the console.

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote