View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
swirvin21
V6 Member

x2... I was an auto adjuster for 5 years so I can tell you ALOT of stuff about body shops! The #1 cost of painting something like those handles is getting it to match. They have to spray and mix the paint in test panels before they even shoot the handles to ensure they match or closely match the paint. Also, since the handles are plastic, they will end up having a slightly different color than the surrounding metal door. I'm sure you have seen how bumpers don't match the truck many times.

I've seen body shops want to paint an entire door in order to paint the handles, because they want to ensure the paint matches. They aren't trying to screw you, they just want to make sure you can't come back to complain that they don't match and have to do it all over again....for free.

Last time I checked, paint was $40/hr for labor + $30/hr for materials, so $70/hr. I'd take that $150 in a heartbeat!

As for the chrome bumper, LowRam is right, you'll need to at minimum remove the chrome via sand blasting or other method.
swirvin21 is offline   Reply With Quote