Oklahoma Ram Club

Oklahoma Ram Club (http://www.oklarams.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.oklarams.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Exhaust (http://www.oklarams.com/showthread.php?t=560)

ramthis9501 01-12-2012 10:56 PM

The sound is a personal preference. And a clogged cat or not, straight pipe is always going to be less restrictive. And the CEL wont bother me considering it already comes on because of the lower temp thermostat.

Okiespaniels 01-12-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramthis9501 (Post 8646)
The sound is a personal preference. And a clogged cat or not, straight pipe is always going to be less restrictive. And the CEL wont bother me considering it already comes on because of the lower temp thermostat.

Yes...straight pipe is less restrictive at higher rpms...not where your motor is. I expect you'll lose power. I mean....if a loud exhaust with big pipes would help my ram run better at the speeds and rpm I drive it at, wouldn't you think I would install one? Has anyone else jumped on the bandwagon?

The CEL comment is just silly

ramthis9501 01-12-2012 11:27 PM

The cel isn't going to effect how it runs, its just a light on the instrument cluster... Which I don't mind looking at. It might not help the power but like I said, I want it a little louder because of personal preference which is exactly what cutting the cat will do.

LowRam 01-13-2012 10:05 AM

i have a 93 camaro once my cat clogged on it i just cut it off took a bar and knocked everything out of it to where it was hollow than welded it back on. im guessing that would be the same as adding just a straight pipe if so it really didnt make much of a difference. but my buddy had a 01 ram in high school his cat got cut off over night and he had to drive with out one lol that was loud!

OklaHemi 01-13-2012 11:34 AM

dont remove your cats its dumb trust me. and it makes your truck stink to high shit which in turn turns the ladies off. and isnt that why we all do this anyway, bitches. the cel is annoying to i hate when people point it out.

BMRbrnSNRbrd 01-13-2012 01:17 PM

You are most likely going to see a significant power loss if you cut the cat off. On my '04 I thought a full 3" exhaust with no cats would be perfect...my 0-60 was up to almost 10 seconds...I thought the motor was trashed. Added a hi-flow cat and all was well and went back to normal. Your truck needs back pressure to properly produce power unless you are running some crazy 500hp motor.

ramthis9501 01-13-2012 02:25 PM

Damn... That is a significant loss, I've always understood that cutting a cat was better. Guess not though huh?

916Timmy 01-13-2012 02:59 PM

You lose low end power and torque. The only motors that run better without cats or mufflers are turbos.

BMRbrnSNRbrd 01-13-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 916Timmy (Post 8673)
You lose low end power and torque. The only motors that run better without cats or mufflers are turbos.

Bingo.

(S.M.R) 101 01-13-2012 04:56 PM

^^^ was his nameO