PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pump

WillyBoy17
06-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Well guys I think my power steering pump is about to be dead. :poop: It has recently started whining really loud when I turn right or turn the wheel left. I assume that is my power steering pump. Has anyone else worked on one before or had problems with it and confirm that it is a power steering pump?

BMRbrnSNRbrd
06-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Did you check the fluid level?

DoubleTakeDodge
06-05-2012, 09:36 PM
I have had experience working on a couple (replacing) on a 3rd gen. But it was due to complete failure so it was easy to diagnose the problem.

Okiespaniels
07-01-2012, 10:33 AM
If the fluid level is ok check the fluids condition. Is it black, dark brown, and/or a bit "toasty smelling"?
If so, it may be possible to extend the life of your pump by swapping out the fluid. This would require a suction gun (like a grease gun) and a 1/2 gallon jug of PS fluid.

The procedure is simple. Use the suction to empty the pump. Refill with clean fluid, start engine and run for about a minute while turning the steering wheel to circulate the clean fluid. Squirt old fluid in to oil drain pan.

Repeat procedure until either the fluid is red when you squirt it from the suction gun or you run out of fluid on your last fill.

This usually silences a noisy pump. Oh...and while I'm not a fan of additives, Lucas used to offer a PS lubricant additive. It's one of the few things they have that really works. Don't use the whole bottle though, about half is fine.

Sorry.....guess this is a bit old eh? Maybe it will help someone else.