PDA

View Full Version : Blessing in disguise

ramthis9501
10-16-2011, 12:08 AM
So I had a buddy come out to hang today. He just got a 10" kicker with a 1000 watt amp, pretty nice setup. Well him and another friend already hooked it all up, it worked and all but I immediately saw that he had his system control wire hooked into the power port on the amp then to the port where it plugs in. Kind of weird so I said lets run your wire to the radio then it'll automatically turn off. So we got it all torn down and I begin looking at the wiring. He still has a stock radio so it doesn't have auxiliary ports. Instead they cut the ends off the auxiliary wire and taped it to the speaker wires coming off the harness. I barely pulled on it and it pulled out. I told him to wait until he can get a converter so it can be safer. So to put an end to this, if that positive wire would have popped out and hit metal, it could've shorted out and possibly blow the amp or worse cause a fire. I did right didn't I? I mean the way they had it wired was almost scary lol it wasn't even soldered... just taped

Okiespaniels
10-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Sounds like you found some of Laurel and Hardy's work...or was Larry, Curly, and Moe?

Whoopwhoopwhoopwhoopwhoop! I got it fixed Moe!

ramthis9501
10-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Oh and he had a 50 amp fuse powering 1 10" subwoofer and an amp.

Matt
10-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Oh and he had a 50 amp fuse powering 1 10" subwoofer and an amp.
fuse rating strictly depends on size of cable and current load of the amp .. what amp was it exactly bc 1000 watts is too much power for any of their single 10's minus the solo-x so i'm guessing it was 1000 max which is 500 rms which pulls about 42 amps of current give or take .. and if he hasn't blown the fuse obviously it's not too wrong