PDA

View Full Version : wrapped my door inserts ...

Matt
09-03-2011, 09:55 PM
as you can see i've added a ton of black to my interior vs stock still going to get black handles and probably do a speaker pod on the bottom of the door and cover than in black as well ...

btw it's covered in black suede like my headliner
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/ecu_chevy_guy/b1b30f38.jpg

ramthis9501
09-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Nice! That really looks good man

BMRbrnSNRbrd
09-04-2011, 01:43 AM
Very nice. I've always wanted a suede headliner and accents.

Matt
09-04-2011, 09:56 AM
yeah i've got my front doors sitting in front of me and i'm wondering about tackling them ... they are going to be a bitch though bc the way the door handle is on the fronts i can't just lay the suede out i'm going to have to sew a couple panels together ..

Matt
09-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Very nice. I've always wanted a suede headliner and accents.

i'm a huge fan as welll ... i think it's a classy way to do a headliner ... this is the 3rd car i've done for myself lol

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/ecu_chevy_guy/celica/headliner.jpg

BMRbrnSNRbrd
09-04-2011, 11:01 AM
What would you charge someone to do the same? Honestly I would be happy with what you have pictured there...basically everything Dodge feels the need to leave as tan in EVERY truck.

myoung84
09-04-2011, 11:44 AM
That looks great! I would love to redo the headliner and pillars in the Charger.

Matt
09-04-2011, 02:17 PM
What would you charge someone to do the same? Honestly I would be happy with what you have pictured there...basically everything Dodge feels the need to leave as tan in EVERY truck.

i would have to look at your truck and see what could be covered.... the front a-pillars cant' be covered without some tricky stitching bc of the handle so i decided to use sem's dye on all the pillar panels (including all the knobs and the overhead console and such) and then depends on how your doors are ...

BMRbrnSNRbrd
09-04-2011, 09:06 PM
How well does that dye work? Is it pretty uniform?

Matt
09-05-2011, 09:52 AM
its basically a flexible paint imo but it works good it just needs touchups if you scuff it and such

BMRbrnSNRbrd
09-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the information Matt. My wife is actually excited about giving this a shot (she's recently taught herself to sew and she's been making little blankets, seat covers for our kitchen, etc). I've never really customized an interior, but throwing some classy suede touches in there will make a huge difference.

Matt
09-06-2011, 01:04 AM
yeah she should have no issues doing any trim pieces but i doubt she has the equipment for doing seats or thick leathers ....

on a side note i finally wrapped my visors today too ... i am a procrastinator on my own stuff

OklaHemi
09-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Sweet. I need an all black interior

BMRbrnSNRbrd
09-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I'm not looking to go wild with the seats or anything...I would be excstatic to just get rid of the tan on the pillars and liner.

Matt
09-06-2011, 01:35 PM
yeah i rode in a stock black dodge the other day and it was soo crazy bc i've had for so long i'm used to seeing it all black and it was all light colored i was like damn.....

BMRbrnSNRbrd
09-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Where do you pick up that dye you use? Can you get me a couple pics of it? I'm really hoping for something that will look like it was done at the factory.

Matt
09-06-2011, 02:07 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/ecu_chevy_guy/5aba459b.jpg

here's an example ... if you're going to do stuff that moves all the time then i wouldn't use it ... like i didn't use it on the piece that snaps my visor in or the rail bc i didn't want the wear marks but it looks more factory than any other stuff i've used .... i get mine at gipsons trim in okc but oreilys has some stuff too just not all the colors .. you'll want to get a satin finish whatever color you choose

BMRbrnSNRbrd
09-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Oh hell yes! That looks factory for sure.

I understand on not doing moving parts as generally they will wear much faster. Are you simply using glue when you wrap? What do you do with the edges where the pieces or single piece meets up?

Matt
09-06-2011, 03:29 PM
are you talking about the sunvisors? or the door piece?

BMRbrnSNRbrd
09-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Basically any section. The way I figure wrapping will work is that you try and use one piece and keep it tight so that there are no wrinkles and such.

Let's take the visor you showed above. When the edge of your material met the original starting point, what did you do to keep a clean look? I guess I'm just wondering about the basics of actualy wrapping a part.

The headliner will be easy because the edges can be hidden on the back so that they won't be seen, but what do you do when there's nowhere to hide those edges? Also, are you using the same glue as the headliner on the other parts?

Matt
09-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Basically any section. The way I figure wrapping will work is that you try and use one piece and keep it tight so that there are no wrinkles and such.

Let's take the visor you showed above. When the edge of your material met the original starting point, what did you do to keep a clean look? I guess I'm just wondering about the basics of actualy wrapping a part.

The headliner will be easy because the edges can be hidden on the back so that they won't be seen, but what do you do when there's nowhere to hide those edges? Also, are you using the same glue as the headliner on the other parts?

yes ALWAYS use one piece bc with suede and vinyls there really isn't a good way to show the edges the only way basically is to fold them over and sew the edge to a finished edge but still doesn't look good imo so best way to do it is run the material untill you can't see the edge ... for instance on my door panel parts the corners where the arm rest is were a BITCH!! bc i didn't want any creases and i wanted the suede to really get into the corner so it didn't look rounded ... however when you put that piece back into the door you don't even see the spots where i took most of my time .. so just be aware on what is going to be seen and what's not going to be seen

i use a 3m glue in a big black can at oreilys and on the headliner i buy the most expensive kind its like 20 bucks but it has SUPER SUPER SUPER hold lol reasoning is you're attaching a heavier fabric and of course it's going to be upside down in our heat which sucks so i spend the extra few bucks not to worry the other stuff is just 1 notch down which is still like 14 bucks or so ... best trick with the headliner i can tell you is go slow, do small sections untill you're comfortable and start in the middle vertically and go to the outsides that way if you have some creases which is gonna happen in a lot of cars no matter what you can hide them in the seal ... i went center and then front to back on mine and i have some creases in the rear but that was like 5 years ago and was my first one ....

the visors there are 2 ways to do .... the easiest way is to split them apart there are a bunch of plastic ball and socket style clamps that hold it together and if you take your time it's not too bad to split ... and then the mirror piece has 8 small plastic "dowels?" that press into the holes on the visor and then the back is kinda melted to flatten them on mine i just took my time and pryed it out with a flat panel popper and then stuck it back in after i put the suede down and then a little glue on the back side of those "dowels" to hold it in place .... the factory pieces use no glue but i decided to use a bit only to make it easier to hold while i was stretching ... basically i attached the one side where it was flat (this is best to do on the side with the mirror in it) with a little glue in a few spots ... then stretch it on the other side and repeat the process ... you could actually glue the cover all around the edge and then fold it over and be done except working a few of the spots around the clips and the bar ..... buttt i don't like doing that because there is some lose spots that i can feel when i do it that way and if that's the case you cant push in the material anymore bc it's glued ... so that's why i only glue one side and then i use a flat wide piece of metal .. ( i have a tool for this) but you can also use whatever you can find... and then stretch the material to the edge and push it in that small gap where the two edges meet .... i hope i didn't lose you lol it's easier to show in person ...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/ecu_chevy_guy/c421d392.jpg

i grabbed this from oreilys and it matches the other stuff

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/ecu_chevy_guy/7f8206bf.jpg

BMRbrnSNRbrd
09-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Thank you very much for the explanation. Hopefully I can do this in the near future but either way it will definitely be getting done.

Matt
09-06-2011, 04:12 PM
i've also got a couple things that i'm going to start finishing up .. i changed my seats out a while back while i was working on mine and i am undecided which i like better i have a sport so i had that full nice console that everyone loves however i'm not a huge fan of it bc it totally seperates driver and passenger and i like to have my foot up on the center hump ... but i'm probably going to finish those seats up and put them in and see if i can adjust back and if not pull them and sell em lol

Matt
09-06-2011, 04:16 PM
hated the dip in the console so i filled it with 2 part foam and then i covered that with some duraglass (basically fiberglass chopped up and body filler) and then covered it with a cover ... still have to trim it and finish but it goes nicely with my seats ...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/ecu_chevy_guy/15557_189651862325_685972325_3638124_1121154_n.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/ecu_chevy_guy/15557_189651867325_685972325_3638125_6130796_n.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/ecu_chevy_guy/15557_189651897325_685972325_3638130_8286769_n.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/ecu_chevy_guy/15557_189651892325_685972325_3638129_6255999_n.jpg

BMRbrnSNRbrd
09-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Wow dude. Do you do interiors professionally?

On the dip in the console, are you just talking about how it naturally starts to sag because there's no support there? I HATED that on my '04.

Matt
09-06-2011, 04:25 PM
nope if you see on the top there's a big dip in the center ... my arm would natrually fall into that dip and it was too far over lol (little things bug me) so i filled it in ... on a side note i'm going to paint my top cover and the bezel gloss black just like that ..

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/attachments/f14/25161d1207441526-2006-dodge-ram-srt-10-2wd-quad-cab-night-runner-8.jpg

and not really lol i mean i've done a lot but i stick to normally just 12volt work but i can do it all ... thinking about opening a shop in a smaller town and if that happens then yeah i'll pretty much be doing it all

ramthis9501
09-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Man that's some awesome work you've done, pretty good idea on the console... might have to do that to my dads truck

myoung84
09-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Very nice work!

Matt
09-06-2011, 04:59 PM
thanks man it's never done lol hopefully one day i can leave well enough alone

BMRbrnSNRbrd
09-06-2011, 05:05 PM
I had no idea that the 06+ console was like that..wtf were they thinking?

Very nice work dude.

ramthis9501
09-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Yeah they got rid of the middle seat completely

BMRbrnSNRbrd
09-06-2011, 05:46 PM
I have no problem getting rid of the middle seat...mine doesn't have one and frankly I don't want anyone sitting that close to me. I was referring to the large dip in the center of the console's top.

myoung84
09-06-2011, 05:57 PM
There's only one thing I miss about having the center seat. All the other times, I love my center console. :D

ramthis9501
09-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah I was just saying that they changed to the "business" console in 06-08

BMRbrnSNRbrd
09-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Oh come one Morgan...it gives her something to lean on. :D

Matt
09-06-2011, 10:23 PM
There's only one thing I miss about having the center seat. All the other times, I love my center console. :D
virgin ears!!!!
but
AGREEED lol

I have no problem getting rid of the middle seat...mine doesn't have one and frankly I don't want anyone sitting that close to me. I was referring to the large dip in the center of the console's top.

yeah i dont get it .. i think it's dumb .. that whole console piece is like 500-1000 if i was to sell it online .. crazy high

Matt
09-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Where do you pick up that dye you use? Can you get me a couple pics of it? I'm really hoping for something that will look like it was done at the factory.

just to give you a couple more pics dave so you can see how it looks like on other panels lol excuse the mess i have a few panels out of the truck

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/ecu_chevy_guy/dodge/IMG_0711.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/ecu_chevy_guy/dodge/IMG_0707.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/ecu_chevy_guy/dodge/IMG_0706.jpg

Matt
09-22-2011, 08:05 AM
and these are taken with my slr which will show any flaw lol i can see the middle picture where it kinda looks like it's blotchy in some spots but none of that can be seen in person in the truck i dont' know why it came out like that in the pics