PDA

View Full Version : Truck's next progression

BMRbrnSNRbrd
08-22-2013, 07:41 AM
I've been debating what to do next to the truck. I would love some performance stuff, but I honestly don't know if I want to do anything more to the truck. I just don't see the point in trying to make a crew cab "fast." Hell, even the regular cab guys are starting to de-mod because of blown transmissions and the inability (without serious money) to make the Ram "fast." Hell, if I want to go fast, I'll hop on the bike.

However, I would love to throw a torque converter in the truck. The only downside is that I have the 3.55 open rear-end, so I would basically be roasting the piss out of one tire...and tires are damn expensive. Also, the install would be a bitch because I'm just too much of a tight-wad to pay for something I known I can do.

I wanted to install headers, but I refuse to pay $1600 for longtubes and the only other really affordable headers are the BBKs, but I've heard it sounds like a constant exhaust leak with those.

I'm fairly happy with the suspension. I really want to drop the front another 1/2 - 1" and the rear about another 1/2", but I hate to ruin a decent ride for a little more drop. I could do the bolt-in RideTech rear bag kit, but it would only be a manual fill until I can afford a compressor and tank and then there's the front, which runs over $900.

I mentioned before about doing some sort of black paint on the outside to break up the gray. I know many say not to ruin the truck's "clean" look, but to me it is starting to get boring. I have the opportunity to have a little custom work done for a great price. The guy is starting a shop and has a lot of talent with an airbrush. I threw the idea out there about the "true-flame" look and he loves to do it...and does it well. However, he and I agree that all that color would be too much on my truck. We tossed the idea around about black true-flame that would almost have a smoke look along the bottom rockers. It would start just behind the front fender flare and trail along to about 3/4 of the way down the rear doors. Not too much, just enough to catch attention if someone is really looking. If we do that, I'll pull the vinyl off of the pillars between the windows and have him shoot that black also.

So, thoughts? As much as I love showing, I just can't see spending a fortune on billet pieces under the hood..hell, it's hidden 99% of the time anyway. I could add to the sound system, but I hate doing things twice and the amount of money I have to toss around just isn't enough to do a proper sound system.

Let's hear it fellas. What would you do next?

DoubleTakeDodge
08-22-2013, 08:32 AM
I'm not a big fan of flames, but if it's done tastefully it can really add to the truck. The idea of flames along the rockers to most of the way through the rear sounds like a Harley Davidson f250 lol

Okiespaniels
08-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Dave, I ask myself these same questions. I've asked these same questions on every "custom" vehicle I've had.
We could probably have a good long campfire chat on this....

I can't read your mind, but it' appears you're at a crossroads. So I'll speak my feelings and you can respond. I hope I don't offend you.

My gut reaction, and one that I've been nurturing for a while, is to just drive one's truck and enjoy it. I've decided that modding my truck to fit one jondra or to impress anyone other than myself is a fruitless waste of time, talent, and most importantly, money. I wish I'd learned this lesson about 30 years earlier in life.

The moment happened when I attempted to buy wheels for my truck this summer...simply because I wanted to "look different" or "better" for the MWM. It didn't work. I considered that a sign that I was going against my beliefs. It's not that I can't ever get a new set, but it'll be because of the right reasons.

My point is, if you're modding your truck, don't do it because you're bored, or because you must. And never do it for anyone else...but I know you know that.

I'd say if you're bored, you're simply not enjoying what you have enough. So read my post, then get the family, load them in the truck and drive somewhere. Get an ice cream cone (but not at sonic :) ) or cruise up the pike and park at a lake. Listen to the exhaust with the window down. Remember how hot your wife is sitting next to you. Check out your son enjoying the trip. Tap the gas and pass a slower car.

Somewhere on that ride I hope you realize that your truck is as unique as you are. And smile. After that, consider your next mod.

Repeat as nessesary

PS...I vote for underhood detail.

myoung84
08-22-2013, 10:11 AM
I think some ghost flames would look sweet. I'm not sure about black though...

DoubleTakeDodge
08-22-2013, 10:38 AM
^^ I like the idea of ghost flames. Is your guy any good at custom pinstriping?

BMRbrnSNRbrd
08-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Dave, I ask myself these same questions. I've asked these same questions on every "custom" vehicle I've had.
We could probably have a good long campfire chat on this....

I can't read your mind, but it' appears you're at a crossroads. So I'll speak my feelings and you can respond. I hope I don't offend you.

My gut reaction, and one that I've been nurturing for a while, is to just drive one's truck and enjoy it. I've decided that modding my truck to fit one jondra or to impress anyone other than myself is a fruitless waste of time, talent, and most importantly, money. I wish I'd learned this lesson about 30 years earlier in life.

The moment happened when I attempted to buy wheels for my truck this summer...simply because I wanted to "look different" or "better" for the MWM. It didn't work. I considered that a sign that I was going against my beliefs. It's not that I can't ever get a new set, but it'll be because of the right reasons.

My point is, if you're modding your truck, don't do it because you're bored, or because you must. And never do it for anyone else...but I know you know that.

I'd say if you're bored, you're simply not enjoying what you have enough. So read my post, then get the family, load them in the truck and drive somewhere. Get an ice cream cone (but not at sonic :) ) or cruise up the pike and park at a lake. Listen to the exhaust with the window down. Remember how hot your wife is sitting next to you. Check out your son enjoying the trip. Tap the gas and pass a slower car.

Somewhere on that ride I hope you realize that your truck is as unique as you are. And smile. After that, consider your next mod.

Repeat as nessesary

PS...I vote for underhood detail.

Nicely said. Thanks Al.

Okiespaniels
08-22-2013, 04:07 PM
When I say underhood detail, I don't mean filling your truck's engine bay with stuff from Billet specialties, or as I now call them BS.

You don't want alot of BS under your hood because your vehicle will then look the BS under everyone elses hood. I've seen a lot of BS lately. :) BTW this is nothing against BS...they can sell all the product they want. At least someone makes stuff for Mopars.

When you added the Ram emblem to your Vararam top that was awesome, I even had to point that out to the other judge at MVM. He noticed you cleaned the inside of your rims. :)

The old 2nd gen Ram with the Gullwing doors... his billet was built for him. Like it or not, it was unigue. Better that than more BS.

08-22-2013, 06:25 PM
David - on the torque converter.......I know our trucks are a little different, 4x4, wheels / tires, etc. But, the similarities of the drivetrain can't be ignored either. I have had the verter truck now for a month. I only drive in the city, and I'm pretty heavy on the gas. I've lit them up 2x, both times I goosed it a tad more than normal, and she broke loose a tad. ;) I let off, understanding that the 950 I paid for these 34s.......I don't really feel like paying for AGAIN, anytime soon.

In day to day driving, you definitely know its there, it shifts a LOT faster, RPMs don't drop much at all. I love it, but for the grand I have in it (parts and labor) I am not sure I'd do it again for the cost. 500, yeah, I'd do that. ;) But, I simply couldn't install - no freakin' time, or desire honestly.

On the flame idea.....its whatever works for you bud - I am not a flame guy, just not a fan of them.....mostly. Heck, you know Carl (3500dually)'s 51? That car would look simply amazing if the darker gray was the entire front end of the car, then flaming out.......as it sits now - I just don't feel it.

see what I mean?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1097200_579036255493400_353933749_o.jpg

But, I'm in the same boat as you........"whats next". Headers were a thought, but yeah, 1600 for longtubes? holy FACK.

Okiespaniels
08-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Y'know, I kinda realized something else. Pretty much everyone builds thier ride from the outside in. That means you've added everything to your ride that anyone can see instantly. It's the instant "wow" factor.

It's not wrong, but when you feel you've reached a saturation point, you're stuck. Everything you do will not be noticed so readily, if at all. I've done this as well...until now?

Yup. I'm building my truck from the inside out, details first. It wasn't intentional, but it happened. Your torque convertor or longtubes are my larger rims and tires.

Sorry for the post 'jack. But I realize as I feel your pain David that I'm inwardly chuckling at your predicament. I apologise. Go drive your truck. I drove mine today. It was AWESOME. Then I replaced my dried out tranny hoses and added some details on the install. :)

BMRbrnSNRbrd
08-22-2013, 09:04 PM
I have an interior idea I've been kicking around for over a year but I have no idea how to tackle it.

Okiespaniels
08-22-2013, 09:05 PM
I have an interior idea I've been kicking around for over a year but I have no idea how to tackle it.

Well, put it out here!

08-22-2013, 09:21 PM
yeah man, throw that shit out!

916Timmy
08-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Stainless Works is going to have long tubes available in the next few weeks also...should be really nice...OR, just do the OBX Jeep GC SRT8 headers for 600 bucks and have a shop fab the back half to work.

916Timmy
08-22-2013, 09:43 PM
My second vote is paint my chrome bumpers for me.... :)

BMRbrnSNRbrd
08-22-2013, 10:04 PM
I want to convert the entire interior to black since it seems EVERY Ram produced lately, no matter what the main interior color, has tan interior pillars, headliner, etc. However, I can't find any way to paint the plastic pieces black that will match the factory and also be resistant to scratches and such.

Okiespaniels
08-22-2013, 10:31 PM
I'll hazard you've checked with your paint guy or a body shop supply on this?
The stuff I painted my side panels with is pretty good unless there's a LOT of direct contact, and that problem may be my fault.

myoung84
08-23-2013, 09:00 AM
A solid black interior would be sweet. That's how my Jeep is and I love it. Looks so much better than tan pillars and roof.

BMRbrnSNRbrd
08-23-2013, 11:09 AM
If I do it, the headliner and sun visors would be covered in black microsuede.

ramthis9501
08-23-2013, 12:56 PM
I know it sounds kinda cheap, but theres black spray paint for headliners. I'm thinking of doing it to mine.

There's some guys on other forums that have done it and it actually looks pretty good

DoubleTakeDodge
08-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Recovering a headliner is really very easy, visors I am less sure about but they can't be hard. For the price of just buying fabric and adhesive, you should look into just recovering it Colton. And Dave, the idea of an all black interior sounds really good, I had similar plans for my white truck but all slate grey rather than black.

Matt
08-23-2013, 02:01 PM
it looks ok colton but feels terrible .... as someone with an all black interior with suede you know my vote .. easily the most distinguishing thing i've had on my truck everyone gets in and is like ohhh this is nice lol and then proceeds to pet my headliner for an hour lol

you either have to use sem and deal with the touch ups or you have to have them covered in suede and have someone hand stitch the a-pillars

Matt
08-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Recovering a headliner is really very easy, visors I am less sure about but they can't be hard. For the price of just buying fabric and adhesive, you should look into just recovering it Colton. And Dave, the idea of an all black interior sounds really good, I had similar plans for my white truck but all slate grey rather than black.

bite your tongue lol visors can be a bitch

DoubleTakeDodge
08-23-2013, 02:06 PM
bite your tongue lol visors can be a bitch

Oh haha I've never done visors, just the headliner haha. Figured it'd be similar, maybe not! Lol

(S.M.R) 101
08-23-2013, 11:33 PM
I still liked your 2 tone paint idea for the truck.. The roof and hood that we were talking about while I was down there.