PDA

View Full Version : Decals

BMRbrnSNRbrd
10-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Does my truck need some kind of decals? I've tossed the idea around before but never landed on anything. I thought about the R/T stripes on the hood/fenders and also some stripes on the cowl, but nothing really fit what I was after.

What do you guys think? Whatever I do, it will be gloss black to match the accents.

10-21-2012, 04:11 PM
no.

Okiespaniels
10-21-2012, 04:14 PM
NO...absolutely never...put any 'decal", sticker, or vinyl gee-gaw on the finish of your vehicle!

10-21-2012, 04:19 PM
well, I wouldn't say that. LOL

I like mine - but I think David's truck looks great the way it is.

Okiespaniels
10-21-2012, 05:48 PM
I was speaking for Davids truck. :) Your truck looks perfect with the subtle accents you've added. The contrast works with the base color.

Davids' truck is a color that kinda...well...doesn't do another color well. And def not R/T stickers.

fastnnuffrt
10-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Your no r/t!!!

myoung84
10-21-2012, 06:20 PM
I say no...

ramthis9501
10-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Nah... Looks clean the way it is

1Tuff6.7
10-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Your no r/t!!!

And jesse's only half of one.

Dude your truck is beautiful the way it is. Less is more.

fastnnuffrt
10-21-2012, 07:05 PM
And jesse's only half of one.

Dude your truck is beautiful the way it is. Less is more.

Half?

BMRbrnSNRbrd
10-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys. I really just need something to grab more attention at shows. I really like showing but my truck doesn't get enough attention....and the things that grab attention are mostly horrible.

Okiespaniels
10-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks guys. I really just need something to grab more attention at shows. I really like showing but my truck doesn't get enough attention....and the things that grab attention are mostly horrible.

Once again, you are the only one that sees the flaws. I see a gem in need of just a bit more polish...:worship:

There's a zen rethink here...what is the true purpose of your truck? Is it to grab the 10 dollar show trophy? If so, the only opportunity lies in retiring it from street duty.

You would have to bring it somewhere near the level of suicided door truck at the midwest show...in your own way. BTW although the truck was attention grabbing, the only things that held my interest were the unique billet pieces. IMO, blending that trucks unique details with your overall finish is the trick.

If it's that big a deal but the above financially impossible...I'd suggest having your wife dust the truck every 15 mins in the little outfit shes's wearing in your avitar shot...with some heels on...while smiling and talking to the public. < She'll think I'm such a perv after reading this...but you'd expect nothing but blunt honesty from me right?

How about investing in a show board if that won't work? If nothing else...patriotic themes and/or a mural saluting our countries' vets, or firefighters/police.

Now that I think of it...a tailgate mural with a fight of B-17s coming out of it surrounded by flak bursts and burning ME-109s would be awesome.

EDIT: Not that it will you feel any better Dave, but 97% of the people that walk by my truck don't give it a second glance. The other 2% are vocal enough to ask why it's here or what's so special about it.

(S.M.R) 101
10-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Paint the hood and roof like we were talking about.. I think painted hood spears would look good. And it wouldn't look out of place if you had it painted and cleared.. most people put the vinyl and it looks bland and generic.

But that's just my feelings dude.

BMRbrnSNRbrd
10-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Al, I know I can always count on you for a blunt and honest opinion and although I may not show it, I do appreciate it.

I guess you are right about what would be needed to get attention and I'm really not willing to do it. I don't want color changing lights, lambo doors, or screens all through the interior...and although I would love it, my wife will never do that, lol.

Kyle, I agree about the painting, but I'm not going to do the roof until I have a hard tonneau cover that can help flow the theme. I guess that's something to aim for.

(S.M.R) 101
10-21-2012, 08:21 PM
I get what your saying man.. But I agree with Al.. Your truck is amazing man. I have your truck as my background on my computer from when we did the rolling shots and everyone I work with thinks it's the best looking 4th gen they have seen.

BMRbrnSNRbrd
10-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Except for yours, of course.

Okiespaniels
10-21-2012, 08:29 PM
I think a showboard, some painted and/or dark anodized engine details, and a smattering of other interior details will go a long way.
Maybe some ghost flames a shade off the original color would work. What ever you paint should not hide the finish.

Again, the unique color of your truck is its greatest asset. Conversley...it's a dark and foreboding shade...any theme in the truck should reflect that. That doesn't mean you need to make it into a gothic beast. But its never gonna be a bright and happy truck and I don't thnk you can turn it into one.

(S.M.R) 101
10-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Except for yours, of course.

Actually... Most of them said they thought your "Theme" looked better than mine..

Your truck has all the guys wanting to lower their trucks haha

BMRbrnSNRbrd
10-21-2012, 08:52 PM
I think a showboard, some painted and/or dark anodized engine details, and a smattering of other interior details will go a long way.
Maybe some ghost flames a shade off the original color would work. What ever you paint should not hide the finish.

Again, the unique color of your truck is its greatest asset. Conversley...it's a dark and foreboding shade...any theme in the truck should reflect that. That doesn't mean you need to make it into a gothic beast. But its never gonna be a bright and happy truck and I don't thnk you can turn it into one.

I definitely agree with the dark interior look Al. I actually had plans to refinish the interior pillars and wrap the headliner and visors but I couldn't find anything that would be safe to use on the interior plastics that would last.

1Tuff6.7
10-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Half?

Sorry. For a second there I thought r/t stood for real truck! BOOM!!!
Just kidding....

1Tuff6.7
10-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Dave I know exactly what you're saying I personally think my truck looks hideous. But I'm my own toughest critic, i look at my ride and think wow what a beat up pos. but other people seem to like it. I got more attention at the show this weekend than I ever have anywhere before and I did it by putting in a mix cd with crazy music like pantera, lamb of god, in this moment, and I cranked that thing all the way up and let JL Audio do the rest of the work while I walked around detailing the truck. Just an idea. Not sure if you do that or not

(S.M.R) 101
10-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Sail by AWOLNATION is also a real crowd hype...

I beat this song when I hit local shows around here lol

1Tuff6.7
10-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Good one gonna have to add it to the list.

DoubleTakeDodge
10-21-2012, 11:00 PM
I just got on for the first time this weekend and saw this... I personally don't think you should do any vinyls... The hood spears are a cool idea that I could see looking good, or have you though about maybe some custom pin striping detail? Not so much that it looks Hispanic and takes away from the truck but just so that it gives a hint of additional detail that further sets it apart. I honestly love the look of your truck, I'm ALL ABOUT very subtle details.. That's just what gets me personally lol. What ever you do just make sure that you don't let your search of a 1st place trophy make you do something to your truck that you won't be absolutely and always happy you did.

DoubleTakeDodge
10-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Sail is a good one! And it beats pretty good too. AWOLNATION is actually from Oklahoma as well..

Okiespaniels
10-22-2012, 08:14 PM
What ever you do just make sure that you don't let your search of a 1st place trophy make you do something to your truck that you won't be absolutely and always happy you did.

^^^^ This...you youngins gotta rmember to get to the dream vehicle level requires a sacrifice of time, money and a bit of tastelessness that is almost every bit a fantasy as dating the models on the cover shoot of said vehicle.

If you are planning on seriously competing at the Kicker show or Daryl Starbird level your vehicle becomes an investment, not a driver.
Sure, theres some things that you can borrow from those types of vehicles, but if you're going to do all that to go to local shows someones' charity is sponsoring, you're probably going to frustrate yourself. In fact, I can speak from the deepest depths of dark experience on that.

You guys really should start attending shows instead blustering about on here. BTW, it's also a numbers game. The more shows you attend where people can see your truck, the more likely you are to start taking home some hardware. At least it works for me.

On 2nd thought, stay home and keep posting on how your truck sucks. I'd enjoy the company at the show grounds but am not sure about tightening the "competition" :) (mad scientist/demented dwarf cackle fades into the distance)

ramthis9501
10-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Sail by AWOLNATION is also a real crowd hype...

I beat this song when I hit local shows around here lol

Yup! That song is one of my favorites by far