PDA

View Full Version : Stall

fastnnuffrt
09-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Ok so iv been thinking about buying a 3400-3600 converter and was kinda curious what my r/t converter was worth? Also Tim and David I might swap to 4:56s

09-25-2012, 10:41 AM
there is a guy on RamForum who is after a R/T stall. I think he's offering $300?

BMRbrnSNRbrd
09-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Dibs on that rearend dude, just let me know when.

Also, the stall...damn I need some money. What is yours? 2800? I would love a billet 3000 but $900 is high.

916Timmy
09-25-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm good with getting better than oem stuff...I will need it :) Also probably going to 4.56

The R/T stall is 2600, but it still sucks even compared to a mild edge or street edge.

I wouldn't go more than 3400, all the smart builders say that it starts to mess with the computer at 3400.

3000 should be plenty.

916Timmy
09-25-2012, 05:12 PM
I would talk to the guy at Moe's performance. He does the edge convertors, but doesn't charge shipping like the Edge guys do :) He can help you with the stall speed and any questions. Guy has helped me a lot and will be getting as much business as the wife will let me give to him! :)

Okiespaniels
09-25-2012, 05:35 PM
The more gear you have the less stall you need. So if you're going with 4:56s you'll pretty much eat up any benefit of your convertor. It will still stall but will never be able to flash to it's full stall because your deep gears are already moving forward.

Also if you get a hi stall convetor and have a one legged diff you'll just spin even more. Best to take care of that issue first then dial in the proper tc.

916Timmy
09-25-2012, 06:01 PM
I've also been told to do the torque convertor last...after all the engine mods you want, so it can be set to the right stall speed and str setting.

ramthis9501
09-25-2012, 07:12 PM
I've been thinking about getting a new one for my truck to...

Okiespaniels
09-25-2012, 08:11 PM
About the time you start reaching into cams and intakes with a powerband of 2500 rpm and up you need to start thinking of a tc if you are not reaching for highway unfriendly gears.

The original concept behind high stall tcs was to make up for lazy gearing and/or heavy vehicles by not only raising the stall speed but increasing the amount of torque multiplicaion in the fluid drive.
I assume everyone knows theres a trade off...higher heat, and a bit of a "dyna flow effect" at least in non lock up vehicles.

Lastly...and unless tc designs changed a bunch...a tc is not a be all end all. You can over cam them and you'll need more gear.

09-25-2012, 08:34 PM
I would talk to the guy at Moe's performance. He does the edge convertors, but doesn't charge shipping like the Edge guys do :) He can help you with the stall speed and any questions. Guy has helped me a lot and will be getting as much business as the wife will let me give to him! :)

Matt is an awesome dude. So glad he brought Moe's back from the underworld.

BMRbrnSNRbrd
09-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Matt is an awesome dude. So glad he brought Moe's back from the underworld.

If only there were a "like" button.

Matt is, and ALWAYS has been, a stand up, class act. I'm very happy to see him take over Moes and rebuild it. He has a ton of knowledge, plenty of credability after building that blue work of art, and overall, he is a very friendly guy. He actually called me about my fourth gen when he was in the market for his. For a guy I had never had much interaction with, it was like talking to someone I had known for years. He will get as much of my business as I can afford to give him.

Okiespaniels
09-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Dam shame he doesn't list anything for older trucks.

ramthis9501
09-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Be cool if we could get him over here

916Timmy
09-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Be cool if we could get him over here

Dave & Jeremy???

He has been helping me through the cam/gears/convertor/nitrous stuff and I will try to get all of it from him! :)

(S.M.R) 101
09-25-2012, 10:14 PM
If only there were a "like" button.

Matt is, and ALWAYS has been, a stand up, class act. I'm very happy to see him take over Moes and rebuild it. He has a ton of knowledge, plenty of credability after building that blue work of art, and overall, he is a very friendly guy. He actually called me about my fourth gen when he was in the market for his. For a guy I had never had much interaction with, it was like talking to someone I had known for years. He will get as much of my business as I can afford to give him.

He has been really helpful to me during this whole intake problem.. He alwas picks up the phone and text's right back.. He is one hell of a guy

fastnnuffrt
09-26-2012, 03:28 AM
Proly gonna go with a 3400 circle d. Edge is junk and no need for billet. 4:56s will get the fat bitch going and I'll upgrade from factory locker to a Detroit probably anyways. At this point I wanna stay stock cam and c what I can get it to do before motor pops on bottle.

BMRbrnSNRbrd
09-26-2012, 06:27 AM
When you are ready, let me know.

Here's a thought for you too:

If we were to wait until just before you want to do your swap (like the week before you drop it off) and physically swap our two axles, it would eliminate two problems:

1. For me, there would be no install cost, other than what I pay you for the setup.
2. For you, you would not have to worry about either finding someone to modify your carrier for the 4.56s or, if you found someone that could do it, paying the extra to have it done. It is not required on the '10 and under trucks like it is on the '11 and up.

Just something to chew on.

fastnnuffrt
09-26-2012, 07:48 AM
When you are ready, let me know.

Here's a thought for you too:

If we were to wait until just before you want to do your swap (like the week before you drop it off) and physically swap our two axles, it would eliminate two problems:

1. For me, there would be no install cost, other than what I pay you for the setup.
2. For you, you would not have to worry about either finding someone to modify your carrier for the 4.56s or, if you found someone that could do it, paying the extra to have it done. It is not required on the '10 and under trucks like it is on the '11 and up.

Just something to chew on.
That sounds like a great idea to me. I'll do the swap myself gears are easy